Those 5 months taught me so much about being independent, living with other people and most importantly, how the f*** to cook for one person. I discovered new spices like Za’atar and cumin. I came to learn that watermelon and feta cheese is the most amazing combination ever (seriously.. try it)!
Over time my cooking skills have matured and my taste buds have longed for more exotic recipes. These quinoa patties with sweet potato and dill are inspired by a similar dish that my boyfriend’s mom has made many times. Bless her soul, she is always cooking food and designing exquisite cakes (check out her Instagram page: @artofcakes).
The dish that led me to the recipe I am about to share with you is healthy, hearty and bursting with loads of flavors. It incorporates some of my favorite tastes.. sweet potato, dill, onion and garlic. I looove garlic!
First thing is to peel, chop and boil the potatoes for ~15 minutes until soft. After straining the potatoes, you’ll want to mash them in a large bowl. Add the remaining ingredients and mix until well incorporated (exact measurements can be found below). Put the mixture in the fridge for 20 minutes so that it thickens a bit (I put it in the freezer to speed up the process).
Remove the mixture from the fridge and turn your oven on to 175 C (350 F). As your oven warms up, heat some vegetable/canola oil in a large skillet over a medium flame. You want just enough oil to line the bottom of the pan and you should keep the oil handy because you will likely need to add more. You’re more than welcome to use more oil but I’m trying to make this dish as healthy as possible 🙂
Once the oil is hot, you can take a small ice-cream scoop or a regular tablespoon to make small patties. When you add it to the pan you’ll want to take the back of the spoon to flatten it out a bit. Be careful not to make the patties too big, or else they will probably fall apart!
Brown both sides, ~4 mins each and then transfer to a baking dish (I used a disposable tin) and pop them in the oven as you go. At this point, all of the ingredients are cooked but leaving them in the oven for 15-20 minutes will make them more crispy!
Although the recipe takes around 1 1/2 hours (including the time the mixture needs to be left in the fridge), you can use that time to make the rest of your meal or just scroll on social media for a little while 😛
QUINOA PATTIES WITH SWEET POTATO AND DILL
PREP TIME: 20 MINUTES – COOK TIME: 40 MINUTES
- 1 large sweet potato, chopped
- 2 medium white potatoes, chopped
- 2 medium zucchinis, shredded
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 4-5 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 tbs. dill
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- Boil the potatoes until soft, ~15 minutes. While they are cooking, add the rest of the ingredients to a large bowl and mix until well incorporated.
- Place mixture in the fridge for 20 minutes to cool and thicken.
- Preheat oven to 175 C (350 F).
- Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet on medium heat. Once hot, take the sweet potato mixture out of the fridge. Using a tablespoon or small ice cream scoop, take some of the mixture and place it in the skillet. Flatten each scoop with the back of your spoon to form a patty.*
- Brown each side, 3-4 minutes on each side. Remove the patties from the pan and place in an oven-safe pan. Place the patties in the oven for 20-25 minutes until crispy.
- Serve hot with ketchup or Sriracha.
* Be careful not to make the patties too big, they will probably fall apart! Reference the picture above to see how big they should be 🙂