Another wonderful thing I get to experience differently than most people, is the changing of seasons. From November to July I live in Israel and I go home in August until the end of October. When I go home in August, its just in time for my birthday (shoutout to all the Virgos) and the end of summer weather. I get to experience my favorite month of the year, September.. its the perfect weather, not too warm and not too cold. By the time I leave in mid-October, temperatures drop to a crisp 50 (F) and upon my arrival to Herzliya I still get to enjoy the last few weeks of summer.
Although it doesn’t seem like anything special, I look forward to it every year. So as Fall approaches us here in Israel and Thanksgiving creeping up on us, my dreams have been filled with flavors like nutmeg, pumpkin and butternut squash.
Since this week was the first jeans and long-sleeves kind-of weather, I decided to share a Fall inspired Apple cake made with pumpkin spice. Its really simple and can be made with ingredients you have in your pantry.
Pumpkin Spice Apple Cake
PREP TIME: 10 MINS – COOK TIME: 1 HOUR
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin spice*
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups diced apples
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 160 C (325 F). Grease two 9 x 5 x 3 inch pans; set aside.
- In medium bowl combine flour, cinnamon, and salt; set aside.
- In bowl beat the eggs, oil, sugar, and vanilla together, mixing well. Stir in flour mixture until just mixed. Fold in apples and walnuts and spoon into prepared loaf pans.
- Bake for 1 hour or until tested done with a tooth pick inserted in center of loaf comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes in the pans before removing to cool on wire racks. Wrap tightly to store.
*If you don’t have pumpkin spice you can make your own! Just mix equal parts cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, allspice, and cloves.